Wednesday, August 6, 2008

The Ducky Cardigan

Is this not the most adorable sweater ever?? Some lucky kid is going to get to wear this! If it were three times bigger, I'd have kept it for myself. Everyone could use a ducky cardigan. I was planning on gifting this first before blogging about it, but I decided I couldn't hold out. So, hopefully the recipient isn't a reader of my blog.

Pattern: Ducky Cardigan by Hannah Fettig in Closely Knit
Yarn: Knit Picks Swish superwash DK, 3 and a bit skeins, plus yarn for the duck detail
Needles: US 8 (and 7 for the ribbing)

I stumbled upon this pattern at the library, in a lovely little book called Closely Knit by Hannah Fettig. The ducks were just so cute that I couldn't resist knitting this sweater. And the yarn I used, Knit Picks Swish Superwash DK, was really nice to knit with - it's merino wool, it's super soft, it's machine washable, and it comes in lots of great colours (including a few nice heathered ones).

This was an easy knit, made interesting by the addition of duck intarsia and pockets (although mind are fake pockets - why would babies need pockets?) and took me less than a month to get through as I worked on other projects intermittently. As usual, my least favourite part was seaming the whole thing up at the end, which, even though it's a small sweater, takes a surprisingly long time. But just check out that sleeve cap setting - not bad!! I battled a bout of indecisiveness with the buttons and finally settled on wooden ones to keep it less fussy and more gender neutral. Man, I love those ducks.



Go out and make your own ducky cardigan, you won't regret it. It's late, and I don't have much more to say. Happy knitting!


2 comments:

Devonshire said...

Could that be any cuter?

zarafa said...

did i not comment on the duck cardigan? i could have sworn i did. perplexing.

the orange hair is more likely a result of the post processing, not your actual hair color. i don't remember noticing an orange-ness.

and the bull riding pictures are up next :)