Thursday, January 31, 2008

Striped Sock

With the leftovers growing quickly again, this week I was feeling the need for some more striped objects - one day I may think of something else to do with these bits, but it's going to be stripes and more stripes for now. Here's one sock, in a rather ugly-cute kind of colour scheme (rugbyish?), that I knitted toe-up (using the ever-popular Wendy's toe-up pattern) so as to make sure I didn't run out of yarn. Although this is my second pair of short-row heel socks, I completely forgot how to do the wrapping and turning thing, so I looked at this handy tutorial from Cosmicpluto.

My happy news is that this Friday, I will be rejoining the working world. That's right, I finally found a job, and one that will allow me to continue in my craftiness at that! I am oh-so-pleased. Starting February 1st, I'll be working part-time at a private practice doing officey work in a beautiful old house that looks like it was torn from the pages of a chic decorating magazine featuring Elegant Bed & Breakfasts. My employers seem like lovely people too. This is a happy compromise given the difficulty I've had in finding relevant work - at least I'll be doing something sort of in my field. It even (sadly) pays a bit better than the other This-will-be-the-end-of-me job I turned down. And it doesn't involve driving an hour away and dealing with poo on the walls.

I've been doing lots of stuff this week, but nothing that was really photo-worthy, so unfortunately all I've got for you is a sock. My week: I baked a loaf of bread (some type of batter bread) that actually rose for once, made seafood and sausage gumbo, packed lunch for D and drove him to school, started researching travels to Europe, read more Anthony Bourdain, wrote a reference letter, watched Project Runway, looked up housing in Bethlehem, surfed Ravelry daily, claimed missing Aeroplan points, paid bills online, vacuumed, laundried and much, much more. Oh, my life is so exciting. To think I used to do all these things *while* holding a full time job. Now, it literally fills my week. Wow, I can't wait for this job to start!

No comments: