Saturday, June 9, 2012

Postage Stamps!

Working on a new project now! It's a postage stamp quilt with 40 different fabrics, totaling 120 two-inch squares. I didn't think I had that many different fabrics but after going through my scraps I had way more than enough! It going to be a wall hanging and I'm giving it to my mom when it's done.

You choose the squares completely randomly and stitch them all together. The only time you can change a fabric is if you draw the same one twice. Here's how my randomness turned out:


I started sewing each strip and I'm about half way there. It's nap time right now so I'm going to cram in some craft time as soon as I post this. We are going to a jazz, beer and barbecue festival later an I doubt I will have another chance to sew today! Have a good weekend y'all.


Thursday, June 7, 2012

At the Lady Bug's Picnic!

It's been unseasonably sunny and hot this May, and we were really in need of a new hat to replace the one she'd outgrown last summer. I procrastinated forever and had the cut out pieces sitting on my desk for a month. Then I ended up having to buy her a baseball cap while we were on holiday because it was so sunny. But, I eventually did finish her hat...just this week. And it only took me an hour. Don't you hate it when you discover that those abandoned projects take no time at all to finish?? JJ requested this ladybug print when I told her I was making her a new hat. Cute and cheerful, no?

It's the same pattern I used to make her animal print hat. It could be reversible but I didn't sew the inner lining very carefully so it's a bit messy, so we will just keep it right side out. The pattern is easy follow, and I left out the interfacing on the brim because it didn't really need the extra structure. Attaching the brim to the cap is a it tricky if you try to match the edges perfectly. I'd suggest ignoring the edges and easing the cap however it fits best to the brim, even if the edges aren't aligned perfectly. There is still plenty of room in the crown so it won't make the hat too short. I forgot about this when I made it again, and I think the crown looks a it poofy around bits of the brim.


Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Hudson's Quilt

My good friend Lorah's new baby arrived just a few weeks ago, and I made this quilt for her. Two years ago I made this quilt for her daughter Lily, one of my first quilting projects if you remember! I thought it would be nice for the two kids to each have their own.

Lorah's is one of the most prolific crafty people I know, and I wanted to make her something she wouldnt have already made herself. I checked her Pinterest board for inspiration, and found this quilt pattern she had bookmarked. It's by Hyacinth Quilt designs and actually very easy to put together. The baby room is shades of yellow and green, which helped me decide what colours to us for the quilt. I am proud that it is made entirely of stash fabric that has accumulated over the last three years!

I think this quilt took me less time than knitting a baby blanket! I worked on it over three evenings, cutting and piecing the quilt top the first day, making the backing and then th quilt sandwich the next day, and then one more evening doing the quilting and binding.

Here's JJ helping me take photos of the quilt....rearranging things