Sunday, July 6, 2008

Blueberry Muffins

Mmmuffins. Freshly baked muffins, with the crispy top and fluffy warm middle...ooh!

Pretty muffin, basking in the sunlight.

Last Monday I suddenly had a muffin craving. I had read that muffin batters can keep up to a week in the fridge, and you can bake a few each day so they're always freshly-made. So, I gave it a try this past week, and it worked out well enough. Although I'm now a little muffin-ed out, I'm a little bored with muffins now, but I would still do this again next time I have a muffin craving. And, you can do variations on them so you don't get bored eating the same thing each time (although I did blueberry ones the whole way, since I had fat box of them to get through). The batter did turn kind of glue-like, which worried me, but it baked just fine, so don't worry how it looks.

Blueberry Muffins
(from a combo of online recipes)

3 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 stick butter (4 oz)
1/2 to 1 cup sugar, depending on how sweet you like your muffins
3 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup yogurt or sourcream (I used milk, since it was all I had in the fridge)
Blueberries, or other fruit, nuts, chocolate, etc.

Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl. In another bowl, cream the butter and sugar with a mixer until it's fluffy and light. Add the eggs, one at a time, and then add the dairy and the vanilla. Now mix in the dry ingredients just until it's smooth. Fill however many (up to 12) muffin papers halfway as you like, and then put in your blueberries. I took a handful and pressed them with my fingers, so that each cup was about 3/4 full. I also sprinkled some granulated sugar on top because I like the tops nice and crunchy. Bake at 400 F for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. After removing them from the oven, remember to let them cool on a rack, otherwise the steam will apparently keep cooking the muffins until they're tough and not-so-nice tasting. Store the rest of the batter in the fridge for up to a week.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That's funny - I have blueberry muffins in the oven right now!!