Friday, January 30, 2009

Lemon Meringue Cake

I never get tired of lemon...especially baking with it. Homemade lemon curd has firmly maintained a high position on my list of favourites, spread straight on cake layers so you that it's super tart and sweet. Yum. A couple of weeks ago I baked the lemon meringue cake from the Tartine cookbook to indulge a little (more) for my birthday. The cake baked up really well - light, moist and fluffy - and was especially tasty after it was smothered in the lemon curd, blueberry preserves, and meringue.

This was my first time using a chiffon cake recipe. Instead of butter, the recipe calls for oil, and the eggs are separated with the dry ingrediants being combined with the yolks first. The whites are then whipped and folded into the rest of the batter. When I pulled it out of the oven, it was super poofy, and after resting about 10 minutes it deflated to an even, flat top.

Cutting, filling...

Slathering on the meringue...

It's just like toasting marshmallows...

Gobble gobble...

There you have it. I've been baking other things, but just not been that good about taking photos and blogging. There are still a few outstanding knitting FOs that haven't been blogged, too. January has come and gone...it's been a busy month with bakery interning, getting all our move-related stuff in order, and visiting Toronto for the lunar new year. Things at the bakery are going well - with the winter being a slow season, I'm only spending about 8-14 hours there each week, which is not much. I'm hoping it picks up. Today I graduated beyond cupcakes and am now decorating the 4" bridal sample cakes. We successfully got our PA drivers licenses, registered our car and completed the inspection and emissions testing, changed our car insurance, and figured out all our bills and services.

I won't be going anywhere for a while, so hopefully blogging will pick up again!

1 comment:

Devonshire said...

The cake looks freaking delicious and fantastic. Perhaps I should make one of those for my birthday...