So, this will be a brief little post, but hopefully something that will amuse you. It's the first (and only) sweater I knit for D, about 2-3 years ago. It's Skully, from Stitch and Bitch, a simple rectangular sweater with sleeves knit straight out of the sides.
Pattern: Skully from Stitch and Bitch
Yarn: 8 skeins of Brown Sheep Lamb's Pride Bulky, Charcoal, 1 skein in Cream
The intarsia's not bad, eh? Let's not think about the mess on the inside. I was rather pleased with myself when I finished this bad boy, thinking that sweater knitting was sooo easy - that is, until I saw D model the finished product. It looked so...home-made. In an ugly-cute kind of way. As any sensitive and responsible husband should, he claimed to love the sweater and actually wore it out in public 2 times.
There are several things drastically wrong (but charming, as D likes to say) with this sweater:
- The gauge was too tight, hence using up a whole extra skein (that's 200 yards!) of wool
- The too-tight gauge resulted in a dense and overly warm rug-like sweater, which meant the wearer could only keep it on for an hour or so
- The arm holes were too small due to the gauge miscalculation, but I still squeezed in the pattern's pick-up stitches, which created this wide wide sleeve.
- The sleeve has some funny shaping at the bottom, where I decreased a few times in order to try to reduce the width of the sleeve - this was before I learned about calculating sleeve decreases evenly.
- The collar is super wide and gives this boat neck kind of look that is both feminine and just plain weird looking.
Now that I've reviewed the problems, I'm even more touched that D actually wore this beast out. Overall though, a fun beginner's project. I may rip this out one day and re-knit it, now that I've photographed it.
That's it for now, bye!