Sunday, December 9, 2007

My First Sweater

This Saturday D and I went to the CCAD student art show, which was really something - 3 floors with works by 150 students! We didn't buy anything, but it was still worth going. It was a bit like the One of a Kind Show in Toronto. Not much else to tell about the weekend, we've been doing holiday preparations and assembling Christmas presents. I've been making some shortbread too, but I haven't found a great recipe just yet, so that means more baking tomorrow.

Today I think I'll show you one of my older knits, given that it's the holidays which means many of my crafts will no longer be a surprise to their recipients if I keep posting them all. In 2004, after many hats and scarves, I decided to knit my first sweater after seeing D's sister churning out lovely sweaters like it was no big deal. She claimed it was easy. And really, it was.


Pattern: Cowl Sweater from Stitch and Bitch
Yarn: Brown Sheep Lamb's Pride Worsted, about 4 skeins
Needles: US11 straights and dpns

Back in the day, when I didn't know any better, I bought yarn at full price and needles that the pattern called for. I excitedly trekked to Lettuce Knit on my lunch break and bought myself an armful of bright, apple green wool. Increases, decreases, I was making stuff up and fudging bits of the pattern that I wasn't sure about (hmm, decrease both ends? Does that mean you turn first? How do you count a row? What's that gaping hole??

I'm glad to say that in 3 years I have learned a thing or two, most helpfully that I usually have to go up least 1-2 needle sizes to get the correct gauge. Anyhow, I still really like this sweater, even though I haven't worn it in a while. I made a few modifications to the pattern too - stockinette instead of garter stitch, ribbing along the bottom, and a wider, floppier cowl.

That's about it. I was so super excited to wear this thing and too impatient to wait for it to dry from blocking that I wore it out still slightly damp. I didn't even notice the damp woolly smell in my excitement. I was now officially capable of sweater-making. Next post: D's first sweater.

No comments: