Saturday, December 8, 2007

Basic Cabled Socks


Pattern: Basic Cabled Socks from Vogue Knitting: Accessorize
Yarn: Knit Picks Merino in Vanilla, just over 2 skeins
Needles: US4 dpns

Winter snuggly socks! This was my go-to project whenever I was tired of making coasters. I used Knit Picks merino style for the first time, and I must say, I really liked it. It has a soft, smooth feel without being too shiny or excessively sproingy, but doesn't split and shows off cables nicely. Plus it's really affordable. I probably could have done this in two skeins, but I knit them from the cuff down, so I wasn't sure if there was a way to judge yardage that way.

The cable pattern was easy to memorize which made for good mindless TV knitting (although this week's Grey's had me gasping and verging on heart attack status so many times I only managed to squeeze in a few rounds) and I was able to finish them in about two days.

Some more DK weight projects coming up. I've developed this habit of buying single balls of yarn without any project in mind, thinking I can probably turn it into a hat or mittens, only to find out that usually you need at last two balls to do much. So, it's mix and match time and I'm trying to find a two-colour pattern for DK wool, which means endless hours of Ravelry surfing. I love that site. If you haven't gotten on it yet, sign up! It is the ultimate knitting resource. Be careful though, it's very very addictive.

No comments: