Thursday, April 3, 2008

Finished: Shetland Triangle II

D has taken the camera to Australia, so I am making do with the webcam this week. After much procrastination, I finally got around to blocking Shetland Triangle II. I don't know what took me so long - I have been wearing it all week!

Pattern: Shetland Triangle from Wrapstyle
Yarn: Alchemy Yarns Bamboo, 3 skeins
Needles: US6 circulars

I love the colour, drape and texture of this bamboo yarn. I had never knit with it before, but it suited this pattern well. It felt a little stiff between the fingers and I thought it might be splitty, but it behaved itself well. Again, the only mods made were adding 5 more pattern repeats (I attempted to use the shawl percentage calculator but failed miserably) and leaving out the last pattern row for the edging. During blocking I was a little worried when it released a fair amount of dye, but after drying it's still got a subtle sheen and the colour has remained quite vibrant. I think I'll be able to get a lot of use out of this knit - it will be good for wrapping around the shoulders on cool summer evenings, and will solve the problem of wearing sleeveless tops and then freezing to death in an overly-airconditioned room. And I'll probably be taking this with me to Paris, the land of fashionably-scarved women.

With this being our transition year, it made sense to do some traveling now, before moving and starting new jobs. We went to Paris a few years ago for our honeymoon, and have been wanting to go back ever since. The pastries, cafes, beautiful old monuments, museums, parks ... and of course, stylish scarves. Hence my scarf knitting. D and I will also be traveling to Opatija, Croatia and will likely spend a few days in another city close to the Croation border - perhaps Venice, Trieste, or even Vienna.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a beautiful shawl! I love the color and shine of the bamboo yarn. :)

Devonshire said...

That color looks wonderful. It is stunning!!