Sunday, May 17, 2009

Saartje's Booties and MDSW festival

Happy May!

It's been a bit of a crazy few weeks. First, a little finished project to show you before I get into all the updates:

Soooo cute. These are for baby Bunny who is due in early July, and she'll be getting another handmade item to go with the booties. The pattern is Saartje's Booties (it's free!) and make great baby gifts, and also a great way to find a good use for those little balls of sock yarn leftovers (recognize Pomatomus III?) I used US2 dpn needles and it probably took me a few hours to finish them, including sewing on the buttons. Actually, the buttonloop was the trickiest part, but I found a little tutorial over at My Fashionable Life that was a big help.

Onto the updates! I'm not even sure where to start, since there's yarn and baking and home updates all over the place...


At the beginning of May, I went to the Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival - my first time at a yarn conference - it was so much fun. I have never been surrounded by so much yarn, roving, sheep and all things knitting and spinning related.

Everywhere we went, there was silk, merino, bamboo and all sorts of lovely fibers to grope and pat. I am proud to say I acculumulated only a modest stash consisting of 3 skeins of sock yarn, 2 skeins of wool/silk DK, and some dpns. It was very, very hard not to buy more than that. :)

My bakery internship, sadly, finished at the end of April. I am quite disappointed, but what can you do. After a few weeks of unresolved drama among the company, my pastry chef decided to leave. Fortunately, I have met some great people in Bethlehem and have gotten some offers for introductions at other bakeries, which I may explore in the fall. In the meantime, I have a lot more time on my hands for knitting, and an abundance of partially completed projects piling up.

Last piece of news: Pending inspection and all that (fingers crossed), we bought a house! Yes, we did. It was bit of a whirlwind...everything happened very fast. We started looking around a couple months ago, and only recently decided to begin working with a realtor. Everyone's advice was that home-buying could take a long time, so it was a good idea to start early. So of course, we immediately found a house we really like. Then we went back and stalked at night to explore the neighbourhood. Then we went to see it again. Then we stalked some more. Then we slept on it. And then we decided to put in an offer. I really thought the process would take a heck of a lot longer, that there would be some feet-dragging from the sellers, delays....Friday we put in the offer, on Sunday we had a deal. Surprisingly efficient! We're very excited, and still kind of shocked. Hopefully things will go smoothly through to closing.

That's about all for now. I've got a baby shower cake to show you soon, I promise. It won't take me another three weeks inbetween posts!

1 comment:

Susan said...

Ooo.. so youre moving again..cant wait for the pics...yeah!! Congrats on the house... Those booties are adorable and i love reading your blog... please keep on doing so.. Thanx!!