Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Totoro Bonnet

I've never actually seen the show, but this is the much-recognized character called Totoro, a tree-spirit from Miyazaki's anime film My Neighbor Totoro. I really ought to rent this sometime. Isn't he cute?


Anyhow, I saw a knitted pattern online for a cute Totoro hat and couldn't resist making it:

It's made with leftover Lion Brand Cotton Ease, knit on US6. I had just enough to make the ears, ties and tassles, and the face details are just white felt and black scrap yarn. The pattern is a free one by Hello Yarn and calls for DK weight, but it's not hard to sub in worsted weight. It's quite a clever little pattern...basically a toe-up sock using a figure 8 cast-on, and then you make a few decreases to shape the back of the bonnet.

I think Totoro's nose should have been a little bigger, and I forgot he had whiskers...oh well. he's still pretty cute as he is. This staircase bannister is the best baby mannequin ever.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, our mutual friend Ruthann sent me a link to your lovely blog, I am in awe of your crafty creativity, and LOVE this hat. Though I have to say, you really need to watch My Neighbour Totoro, we are big fans (my mother in law is Japanese...anime is a big part of our film intake)and I am sure you will love it. Aroha Fiona x