Sunday, April 27, 2008

Cinnamon Buns!

Our leisurely Saturday morning started with coffee and scones at Cafe Brioso, followed by a couple hours of book-browsing at the wonderful library. I brought home a huge bagful of baking, jewelry and pottery books, including some Ruth Reichl that I'm eager to start. I took out the King Arthur baking book, which seems to have lots of good instructions, diagrams and explanations - lots of potential here!

So, as a little treat this morning, I made their cinnamon buns - it uses a yeasted dough, which mean it took some time for the rising and baking, overall about 3 hours from start to finish. The dough contains flour, egg, water, dry milk (I used evaporated milk and reduced some water), sugar, salt, yeast and softened butter.

Rolling out the dough

The amount of butter in the buns was not nearly as scary as I had imagined - for 12 buns, the dough itself contained 1 oz, and the filling contained 2 oz.

Thin coat of butter for filling

Cinnamon sugar rolled inside

Puffy rolls of sticky goodness

They were done just in time to take picnicking at the Whetstone Park of Roses (beautiful park - the roses will be in bloom in June, so we'll be back for that for sure!)

And to leave you with a little knitting, here's Cherry - she's gradually growing. Although I keep getting bored with the piece I'm working on and starting another piece. At this rate, it might actually get some wear in a month or so :)

3 comments:

zarafa said...

i like the new banner!

Devonshire said...

Those cinnamon rolls look delicious!! Love the banner and the cardigan is looking great.

Anonymous said...

Thanks to you...after reading your blog, it gave me incentive to organize my own blogs. aah...I feel good.

Thanks!