Saturday, April 28, 2012

Simplicity 5695: Dragonflies and butterflies

Last summer I bought an armful of 99-cent sewing patterns at Joann's, thinking it would be fun to make JJ some pretty summer dressed and tops. She's about 18 months in this photo. It's Simplicity 5695 (view D) in size 2, which was actually pretty snug around the chest and hard to get over her head and arms. I'd probably cut it a little wider next time. It was easy enough and I just shortened the dress to make a top. The elastic though, was a major pain in the butt to snake through such a teeny narrow hem! I used a safety pin at first, and then switched to a big knitting embroidery needle and after much grumbling the elastic was through. It was the most time consuming part of this pattern.

In hindsight, it wasn't that good a fabric choice because it didn't soften up like other quilting cottons after a few washes. Even though it looked cute, I didn't dress her in it often because it wasn't soft and comfy like her other play clothes. At least I got a photo of her in it. :)


No comments: